In April of 2012, before One Direction 's first U.S. headlining tour had even begun, they announced a second U.S. arena tour for 2013 -- the earliest their schedule would allow a return trip to the States. Well, now that tour is finally beginning: it kicks off Thursday night in Sunrise, Florida.
The tour, which comes in support of the boy band's latest disc Take Me Home , has actually been underway since February: it began in the U.K., and then rolled through Europe before landing in Mexico last weekend. The guys have been spotted in Miami in the last few days, where they are reportedly working on their forthcoming, third album.
One Direction were somewhat unprepared for 2012's U.S. headlining tour: it was an extension of their U.K. and Australian tour that was tacked on after their album debuted at #1 and they suddenly became the biggest boy band since 'N SYNC . The group's live show hadn't even been designed with big venues in mind at that point. Harry Styles said late last year, "You know, the last tour, we didn't expect it to go on for so long. This one, we're looking forward to making it for an arena, so it's gonna be a lot of fun. We're excited."
While it seems as though 1D has been on the road non-stop for years, with no end in sight -- they recently announced a stadium tour for 2014 -- Harry says they don't mind.
"We're looking forward to just going back out on tour. We love being on tour and it's a great opportunity to see lots of fans we don't get to see very often," he explains.
If you weren't lucky enough to score a ticket for these U.S. dates, you'll still be able to watch the boys in glorious 3D in their upcoming film This Is Us , which hits theaters on August 30.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio