SHELL LAKE, WI (WTAQ) - Authorities in northwest Wisconsin said they found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide at a home where a man died, and three other family members became ill.
Rescuers were called early Tuesday to the Joseph Parker home at Shell Lake in Washburn County.
The 32-year-old Parker was taken to a hospital and later died. His wife and two daughters were hospitalized with their carbon monoxide exposure. Their conditions were not immediately disclosed.
Several first responders were also treated at hospitals due to their exposure.
Sheriff Terry Dryden said the Parkers were using a gas generator to provide electricity, and the unit’s exhaust fumes were not vented properly. That caused carbon monoxide levels at least 800 times the acceptable amounts.