On Air Now

Listen

Listen Live Now » 101.1 FM Green Bay, WI

Weather

Current Conditions(Green Bay,WI 54303)

More Weather »
52° Feels Like: 52°
Wind: WSW 3 mph Past 24 hrs - Precip: 0”
Current Radar for Zip

Tonight

Clear 42°

Tomorrow

Mostly Sunny 69°

Thurs Night

Partly Cloudy 43°

Alerts

Christopher Eccleston's fury over phone hacking

From WENN.com

The former Doctor Who star is among dozens of celebrities who launched legal action against the newspaper after it emerged a private detective had accessed their voicemail messages on behalf of the tabloid.

He formally settled his case on Friday (08Feb13) for an undisclosed sum in damages, and the hearing was told Eccleston was furious to learn potential evidence of the extent of the hacking has since been destroyed.

Hugh Tomlinson QC, a lawyer for the hacking victims, said Eccleston was ""shocked and distressed"" when he was informed his messages has been accessed on 16 occasions and was also angry that ""owing to the deliberate destruction of documents by the News of the World, he will never find out the true extent to which his privacy and that of those close to him, was invaded"".

Other stars who formally settled cases over the scandal on Friday include The Hobbit actor James Nesbitt, former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair's wife Cherie, and psychic Uri Geller, who was a close confidante of Michael Jackson.

Actor Hugh Grant, who had previously accepted a settlement from the newspaper, revealed he will be giving his damages to media reform campaign group Hacked Off.

Several famous faces are still pursuing legal action against the News of the World's parent company News International, including former East 17 singer Brian Harvey, retired boxing champion Chris Eubank, Princess Diana's former butler Paul Burrell, and socialite Tara Palmer-Tomkinson.

The News of the World shut down in 2011 after it emerged hundreds of celebrities and members of the public had been hacked.

Comments