JANESVILLE, WI (WTAQ) - Authorities said eight people in Janesville have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in a trio of incidents since Saturday.
Firefighters were called six times for CO poisoning in the three days ending Monday.
Fire Lieutenant Kent Shea said three calls were false alarms. Two involved furnace problems. One incident may have been caused by exhaust fumes from cars warming up in a driveway. The fumes appeared to seep into the nearby house.
Four people were treated at a hospital due to one of the furnace incidents. A family in the other furnace poisoning spent a night elsewhere, but was not hospitalized.
Dean Lata tells the Janesville Gazette that he, his wife, and two kids had headaches -- and they were treated at a Beloit hospital. Lata said the first thing he would do upon his hospital release was to buy carbon monoxide detectors for this home -- something it did not have.
(Story courtesy of Wheeler News Service)