MILWAUKEE, Wis. (WTAQ) - A federal lawsuit is being filed against the Vatican and Pope Benedict, for not removing a Catholic priest who allegedly molested 200 boys at a school for the deaf near Milwaukee in the 1970’s.
Attorney Jeff Anderson of Saint Paul, who’s well-known for representing priest abuse victims, will hold a news conference Thursday afternoon to talk about his suit. He says the plaintiff will be a victim of the late Father Lawrence Murphy. Anderson said the victim sent certified letters to the Vatican 15 years ago asking that Murphy be defrocked – and they went unanswered.
Court records released last month showed that the Vatican failed to defrock Murphy after being asked twice to do so by local church leaders – and Benedict and a top deputy called off a church trial in the case. Meanwhile, Murphy was quietly transferred to northern Wisconsin, where he served for 2 decades before he died in 1998.