Website heavytable.com approached Prince's reps to see if he'd be a part of the "What's In Your Fridge". They didn't hear anything for eight months. Then Prince said "yes".
The only conditions were that: the website couldn't give out any descriptions of the house or its location; Prince wouldn't be at the fridge inspection, but the site was allowed to ask him some follow up questions by email; no photographer, only an illustrator.
So what was in Prince's Fridge?:
1. Dunk-a-roos, about 5 pounds worth--You may remember these from the early '90s. They're packs of kangaroo-shaped cookies with chocolate or vanilla frosting for a dipping sauce. The fridge had at least 10 different packages, including out-of-print vintage varieties. Talking about the Dunk-a-roos, Prince wrote: "Don't know what 2 say about Dunk-a-roos. They're just good! Sometimes you want a food that is comfortable and takes you back. For me, it's those crazy little kangaroo crackers."
2. Homemade kimchi--A large jar, about a gallon. Prince said: "This stuff is AMAZING."
3. 18 varieties of mustard-- German, Wisconsin, Californian, and Texan brands, plus a raspberry-flavor. Prince said: "I don't collect it, but LOL yeah there's a lot in there. U gotta love mustard. The raspberry kind is the best. You wouldn't expect it but that's how it goes."
4. Soy milk-based coffee creamer-Prince said: "No cows were oppressed 2 make this righteous creamy creamer, U know? It's really good! In coffee or whatever."
5. Microgreens, about one cubic foot's worth-Prince said: "So good with fig balsamic and a really good olive oil. I just munch on this stuff."
6. Braunschweiger-Prince is a known vegan, so the site was curious to know what he was doing with a log of traditional German smoked pork liver sausage. He never responded.
7. Half a loaf of challah bread from Cecil's Delicatessen-Prince said: "I guess it's good with any of the mustards?!?!"
8. Yak milk, one quart-Prince said: "This stuff is TOO AMAZING. It clarifies your skin and your mind. It is given freely by the yak, so U can truly enjoy it. Great with Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, whatever!!!"
9. Real maple syrup, one gallon-Prince said: "People say U can't tell the difference, but U know, it's the real deal. It's a cut above. It's about 100 cuts above. This is the only thing that touches my waffles."