Men are more likely to lie than women, with the average male telling three fibs a day, according to research.
Each year this amounts to 1,092 lies as opposed to women who were found to not tell the truth 28 times over 12 months, working out to twice a day.
But the research also indicated that women were more likely to lie in certain situations, such as when buying new clothes.
That was when 39 per cent of women felt the need to lie about their latest purchases compared to just 26 per cent of men.
TOP LIES BY GENDER
MEN'S TOP 5 LIES
1. I didn't have that much to drink
2. Nothing's wrong, I'm fine
3. I had no phone signal
4. It wasn't that expensive
5. I'm on my way
WOMEN'S TOP 5 LIES
1. Nothing's wrong, I'm fine
2. I don't know where it is, I haven't touched it
3. It wasn't that expensive
4. I didn't have that much to drink
5. I've got a headache