Ok, I admit it. I'm very much a wimp when it comes to running outside when it's cold out. Needless to say, lately I've become good friends with the treadmill. The problem is, running inside can get boring, FAST!
Time to get creative...at least until it warms up out!
Heres 5 things you can do to beat Treadmill Boredom:
1. Try Interval Training. Mix up the pace! Vary your speed from a jog to a sprint through the duration of your workout. Not only will you have something to distract yourself with, your heart rate will increase and youll burn more calories. Here's a great interval workout
2. Head for the Hills. Another great way to get the best calorie burn is using the incline. If set at a high enough incline, walking can burn as many calories as running on a flat surface. Try one of these workouts.
3. Be a Multitasker. Grab a couple of 2 or 5 pound dumbbells and do bicep curls, shoulder presses and other arm workouts while walking.Or hop on and hop off as you log the miles. Alternate 5 to 10 minutes of running with strength training exercises like squats, push-ups, crunches, planks, and lunges. Just be sure to slow down the speed of the belt during transitions
4. Play Your Cards Right. Take some index cards with you and write words like run, run fast, jog and walk on each one. Shuffle em up while you warm up then draw a card and do whatever it says for 3 or 4 minutes. Go through all cards and repeat.Get even more creative by adding new cards with specific speeds, inclines, or punishments and rewards like drop and give me 20! or time for a water break!
5. Use Digital Distrations. Make an interval-style playlist with a mix of high-tempo and low-tempo songs and change speeds accordingly. Did you know television commercials are tailor-made for workouts? Over the course of a half-hour show, run hard while the program is on and recover during commercials (or vice versa).