Ok first of all I would like to preface this blog with this is all from my own experiences. I applaud anyone who makes the time and effort to actually get their butts in the gym. I understand that I have only become a true gym member who works out on a regular basis for the last six months, so yes, I understand that some of you may have been going for years. I am simply basing all of these "rules" on my personal experiences, frustrations and yes most of all insecurities. I in no means want to offend anyone with these rules. This idea came from talking with some friends about things we hate at the gym- and a lot of us have the same experiences.
Let me also tell you, I am not gonna lie, I HATE working out. I have to convince myself to get in the car to drive to the gym. I have to talk myself into getting out of the car to walk into the gym. I have to talk myself into stepping on the treadmill. Once I am on the treadmill I have to talk myself into staying on the treadmill longer than 5 minutes...it is ongoing. It never ends. People keep telling me it will get addicting. Guess what? It hasn't, I am still waiting. The only thing that gives me hope, is I hope that somebody else out there feels the same way!
The "Rules" of Katie's WIXX Gym...
1. Overachievers to the Back Please!
-ok let me explain this one. I know I know you are working your butt off to obatin your fantastic body. We see your body. We see it probably took work. You don't need to show it off and at the same time discouraging people like me who don't have perfect bodies. When I say overachiever I am talking about the person next to me not only running full force on the treadmill but also lifting ten pound weights while running ten miles. Again kudos to you to be able to do this, but let me tell you- it is annoying. It is annoying because I am breathing heavy and struggling to run/jog/walk three miles at a 16 minute mile pace. I am working just as hard as you are, maybe more to accomplish much less. It is discouraging and frustrating. I am not asking you to not do it, I just ask that you choose to workout at the machines in the back, not front and center so everyone can see you in your fitness glory.
2. If 6 machines are open, please don't choose the one next to mine.
I think this one is self explanatory and I don't get it. If you see a row of ten machines, all identical, and I am on the one third from the left, why do you choose to run next to me? I blame my competitive nature on this annoyance, but I will spend the rest of my run seeing what setting you are on, how long you are have been on the machine, how many calories you have burned, how far you have run. I will then secretly compete with you. I will then lose. I know I can not be the only person doing this, so I am assuming you are doing the same and thinking, wow I totally have this girl beat- piece of cake.
3. Please lay off the perfume.
-Seriously, I would prefer to smell B.O.- hey its a gym, that is what it is supposed to smell like, than you dousing yourself in Britney Spears Curious. It makes me nauseous. It also gives me an excuse to get off of my treadmill, and I don't need any more excuses.
4. If you are using a machine with a tv attached and not using said tv, please choose a machine without one!
- I have found myself running into this alot! I need to run or use an elliptical with the tv's attached. The ones with full cable. I need all the help I can get trying to keep me on a machine. So when I see you using the last elliptical with a tv and you aren't even watching it and there are four other ellipticals open, ones that don't have tv's attached. Yep, it bothers me. Common courtesy people, common courtesy.
5. Clean Your Machines
- their are signs all over the gym- wipe down your machines! What is so hard about it? There is nothing more disgusting than grabbing the handles on the elliptical and they are sticky and gross. It may make me more nauseous than the woman running next to me with her gallon of perfume.
6. Their are other times to sign up than January 1st.
-again let me preface this with saying, I applaud you for getting your butt to the gym. All I ask is that you don't decide to start your new year resolution on January 1st. How about August 1st? That way the people who have been going to the gym for the last year aren't shocked when they walk in the door and see all of the machines are taken. That way people don't have to adjust their routine to go at a different time, one that is quieter, so they can actually get a machine. If you sign up at a different time, then it isn't so overwhelming to all of the people that have been regulars for a long time. For people who don't get what I am talking about- it is like working at a company for ten years. A new guy comes in and decides he wants your desk and he just takes it. The worst part is is their is nothing you can do or say about it and you know this guy is only going to be around for two months, so you have to clean out your desk, adjust your routine for this person. So please. for the sake of all of us, join in March, or June. Trust me, the gyms offer discounts on other days besides January 1st, all you have to do is ask.
LOCKER ROOM RULES...
1. Don't congregate around the scale
-I don't get it. Why do you have to do your hair in front of the scale? Why do you have to catch up with your friend in front of the scale? This one may affect women more than men. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time looking at the number. I don't want the world to see it as well. Granted, I highly doubt these people are even glancing at the scale while you are on it, but even the chance of anyone else seeing that number besides me deters me from stepping on the scale when someone is even within a twenty yard vicinity. This one may be just me, I don't know....
2. If you are going to be naked for more than ten seconds, please use the private changing stall.
- I don't care how fit you are. I am not comfortable talking to you when you are naked. I don't want to see you dry yourself, really getting into the crevices. You do not need to do your hair before you put on your clothes. Put a towel on. That is all I am asking. They have the private changing stall for a reason. You are that reason.
3. Wear flip flops in the shower.
- I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this, but unfortunately I know people who don't. I know the gym I am at cleans their showers daily and that is not my concern. My concern is the person who has warts on their feet using the shower before me. I am concerned about the person who has nail fungus walking around the showers spreading their fungi from one person to the next. So please. Just go to Old Navy and purchase your dollar flip flops and leave them in your gym bag.
I am sure many of you have even more pet peeves than me at the gym- so please comment